Friday, July 20, 2012

Pancakes

Breakfast can be tricky in a new country. Back in Norway I used to have sandwiches with slices of banana, blueberry jam and a dash of potato salad. When I moved to France I stopped eating that since I never found the right type of potato salad. I rather switched to cereal. In Montreal I found one that was pretty close to the one I'm used to, it's called Morning Crisp or Croque Matin. But really, if I'm in another country, shouldn't I use that opportunity to try something else?

So I bought bagels. But there's no toaster in the apartment, I will have to buy one. In the meantime I'm eating buttermilk pancakes with syrup. It only takes a minute to heat them in the microwave. Very good, and quite different from the flat French pancakes - crêpes. Oh, love that Hellboy strip, by the way.

2 comments:

  1. My New Yorker friends would crucify me for saying it, but I think Montreal bagels are the best bagels by far.

    Other must try Montreal foods: smoked meat sandwiches (Schwartz deli is a good one) and the frightening but surprisingly delicious poutine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard about the Schwartz deli. And yes, I guess I should try the poutine while I'm here.

    ReplyDelete