Monday, October 1, 2012

Books and Stuff

I went a bit nuts ordering stuff on amazon before leaving Montreal, so there were a bunch of packages waiting for me when I got home. I had a little Christmas morning by myself, opening them. And only hard packages this time, no socks or underwear, thank you very much.

Hemingway's Boat by Paul Hendrickson
Hemingway's First War by Michael Reynolds
That Summer in Paris by Morley Callaghan
Raymond Chandler: A Life by Tom Williams
Prince Valiant vol. 5 by Hal Foster
Captain Easy vol. 3 by Roy Crane
The Twenty-Year Death by Ariel S. Winter
Mad Men season 1 and 2 package
The Aki Kaurismäki Collection vol. 3
Careless Love by Madeleine Peyroux

How many books about Hemingway do you need, really? I don't know. Apparantly lots. The Callaghan book is about his days in Paris in the 20s and his notorious boxing match with Hemingway, so that should hopefully be interesting and give some definite answers of what actually happened.

4 comments:

  1. I see you are a big fan of Hemingway. Am I wrong if I say that "Why Are You Doing This?" uses his famous iceberg theory?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the early Hemingway novels and short stories. I'm not quite sure how it fits with his iceberg theory, but I always try to leave some room for the reader, to not tell everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hemingway's Boat book is supposed to be great. There's supposed to be some very poignant stuff in the book about his son. On my to-reads. You will love Mad Men - just gets better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen the first four seasons of Mad Men. Yes, it's a great series. Got season 1 and 2 to re-watch them.

    ReplyDelete