Sunday, October 20, 2013

To buy or not to buy

...that is the question. Whether 'tis Nobler in the mind to suffer The Slings and Arrows of outrageous Fortune. You will get Morrissey's side of the story, okay, but do you want to read a lot of bitching about Joyce and Rourke daring to ask for 25 procent of the royalties? That's one side of Morrissey I've never understood. The real money is in songwriting, that he only has to share with Marr. And 50 pages about the trial? I read Tony Fletcher's biography of The Smiths earlier this year, and I think maybe I'll just stick to that one and rather put on Hatful of Hollow or The World Won't Listen, listening to the music they created...

2 comments:

  1. I elected to order it from the UK (it's not available in North America, as yet). I like the idea of reading from Morrissey's point of view, rather than if it was a biography written by somebody else. Plus, from the excerpts I've read, I think it will be completely entertaining, what with Morrissey's sarcasm and snark. And I love that he got Penguin to publish it as a "Penguin Classic"--it can live on one's bookshelf alongside other classics like Great Expectations and Pride & Prejudice. I'll report back after I've read it.

    I can't recall--have you ever done a portrait of ol' Moz?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I haven't drawn Morrissey - not yet, at least.

    I might eventually break down and get a copy of the book, just skip the most whiny parts of it. The early parts of the book, up to Marr knocking on his door, is supposed to be very good.

    ReplyDelete